General terms and conditions
- You can transport pets upon previous agreement with UIA. Only adult passengers may accompany pets.
- For details on free baggage allowance and excess baggage charges please see UIA Baggage Allowance.
- Transportation of animals is subject to governmental regulations concerning import, export and transit of live animals. Passengers carrying animals must provide all necessary documents, such as:
- export, import or transit permits;
- health and vaccination certificates etc.
- UIA cannot be held responsible if your pet is refused entry into or transit through a country. Transportation is allowed provided the passenger assumes full responsibility.
- Pets must travel as cargo if:
- the carriage of pets weighing over 32 kg / 70 lb (including the container) has not been approved by the carrier;
- your cats / dogs + container weigh more than 75 kg / 165 lb*.
- Transportation of pets (except for service animals) is always subject to payment of excess baggage charges in addition to free baggage allowance.
Tranquilizers and sedatives
- Sedation of animals, except under certain conditions and carried out under veterinary supervision, is not recommended. Commonly used tranquilizers lower blood pressure, which also occurs at high altitudes.
- The combination of high altitude and medicines could be dangerous for old, chronically sick or stressed animals. Keeping a container in a dark, cool, quiet place prior to flying will calm down most animals.
- If you have to sedate your pet per veterinarian’s instruction, the name of the drug and time of intake must be clearly marked on the container.
Pets travelling in the cabin
- Pets must be clean and healthy, travelling in a special leak-proof, escape-proof and smell-proof container (cage, soft basket or bags) designed for transportation of animals.
- The weight of a container with an animal should not exceed 10 kg. Maximum size: 55 x 40 x 20 cm.
- The container must be ventilated and large enough for your pet to be able to lay down, get up and turn around.
- We allow carrying maximum three pets in the same container if they are familiar with each other, provided that the weight of the container and the animals does not exceed maximum total weight and size. We will not accept cats and dogs carried in the same container.
- You can only take one pet container with you in the cabin. You must hold the container or fit it under the front seat and may not place on the seat.
- Your pet is not allowed to leave the transport kennel during the entire flight with UIA, including take off and landing.
- UIA may refuse to carry an animal if one or more of the above requirements are not met.
- Request pet transportation in the cabin via UIA Contact Center at least 24 hours prior to your flight departure.
Service (guide/assistance) animals in the cabin
A service animal is:
- seeing-eye, hearing or assistance dog (regardless of the weight and size) accompanying a blind, deaf or paraplegic passenger;
- assistance dog (regardless of the weight and size) of state authority officers and rescue team;
- pets (dog or cat weighing up to 10 kg) for emotional support of passenger with reduced mobility.
A service animal can be carried in the aircraft cabin free of charge under the following conditions:
- Provided its carriage is agreed with UIA in advance, at least 24 hours prior to departure. You can request this service using the following online form.
- Animals must be clean and healthy. Dogs must have collars, leashes and muzzles; cats must wear collars and leashes.
- All documents confirming that a service dog is trained for accompanying a passenger with disability who is dependent upon it, must be presented upon request to UIA representative.
- If you wish to carry a pet for emotional support, you must provide a medical certificate from your physician confirming that you require such support. Please request the carriage of a pet for emotional support in advance.
Maximum number of service animals per passenger in the cabin: 1 service animal (SVAN); 1 animal for emotional support (ESAN).
Pets travelling in the cargo hold as checked baggage
- Pets must be clean and healthy. Pet's containers shall be:
- large enough that the animal can stand upright, turn and lie down in a natural manner; clean, leak- escape- and claw-proof;
- fit for transportation and handling (feeding, watering, cleaning);
- well ventilated on at least three sides.
- Hand-made containers cannot be accepted for pet transportation in the hold.
- A maximum of two compatible adult animals of comparable size up to 14 kg each may be shipped in the same container. Animals over this weight must travel individually. Three animals up to six months old from the same litter, up to 14 kg each, may be shipped in the same container.
- The total weight of container + animals cannot exceed 75 kg (165 lb) and the container must be spacious enough for pets to stand upright, turn and lie down naturally.
- As a pet owner, you must provide enough food and water for the duration of the flight. UIA may refuse to carry an animal if one or more of the above requirements are not met.
- Use an online form to arrange pet transport services. Place your request at least 72 hours prior to departure if your pets + container weigh from 32 kg to 75 kg*.
* Attention. The transportation of pets weighing above 32 kg (70 lb) to 75 kg (165 lb) in the cargo hold is prohibited to/from the following airports: Bangkok, Brussels, Chernivtsi, Dnipro, Dubai, Ivano-Frankivsk, Lviv, New York, Prague, Toronto, Vilnius, Zaporizhzhia.
Requirements for containers
Hand-made containers are not acceptable for transportation of animals in hold. Containers for carrying pets must meet the following requirements:
- Must be clean and undamaged, rigid enough and stay closed throughout the journey to prevent the animal escaping.
- Ventilated on at least three sides. Ventilation is provided by an open end to the container (which can be the door) and by ventilation openings. The ventilation openings must be small enough or covered with mesh. The total ventilated area must be at least 16% of the total surface of the four sides. Additional holes on the roof or sides of the container are permitted for better ventilation.
- Must be correctly labelled; labels must not block ventilation openings.
- Each animal in the container must have enough space to turn about normally while standing, to stand and sit erect, and to lie down in a natural manner. Maximum container size : length – 110 cm (43in), width – 75 cm (29in), height – 75 cm (29in). Maximum weight (container + animals) in hold – up to 75 kg (165 lb)*.
- Separate food and water troughs must be provided. Food and water containers must be of a suitable type for the animal. Dishes must be accessible from the outside without opening the door. Passenger must provide enough food and water for entire flight.
- Handles must be available along the middle of both long sides of a container. If it has wheels, they must be removed or rendered inoperable.
- Must be made of non-toxic materials: fiberglass, metal, rigid plastics, weld metal mesh, solid wood or plywood. Containers made entirely of welded mesh or wire mesh are not suitable for air transport.
- Some rigid plastic containers may not be suitable for large dogs, or dogs that are aggressive. Special containers of hardwood, metal, plywood or similar material, with two secure door fasteners on each side, are acceptable.
- Must not cause damage to the animal. All inside edges must be smooth or rounded.
- The floor must be solid and leak-proof. The door must form the whole of one end of the container. It can be either sliding or hinged, of plastic, welded or cast metal of sufficient gauge or thickness so as to preclude the animal from bending or distorting the door.
- The mesh must be nose and paw proof to avoid injury to the animal.
Restrictions on the transportation of animals
Terms of refund of unused carriage
Terms of refund of unused carriage of animals as checked baggage upon passenger’s/payer’s application*:
- Prior to departure of the flight indicated on the ticket for which the service is purchased - you can get a refund of purchased service or rearrange it for another flight (if UIA has such a possibility) at the place where the service was purchased. If the service was ordered and paid for via the UIA website, the passenger/payer* must send a relevant application to the e-mail address from which the passenger/payer* received a confirmation of the order, or apply to UIA Contact Center.
- After departure of the flight indicated on the ticket for which the service is purchased, but the passenger failed to use it:
- you can submit your refund application online via the feedback form;
- you may rearrange this service for another flight (if UIA has such a possibility) via the UIA Contact Center.
Terms of refund of unused carriage of animals in the aircraft cabin:
- In order to get a refund of the purchased service or rearrange it for another flight if UIA has such a possibility), the passenger/payer* must apply to the place where the service was purchased no less than 24 hours prior to the flight departure time indicated on the ticket for which the service was purchased. If the service was ordered and paid for via the UIA website, the passenger/payer* must send a refund application within the above-stated period to the e-mail address from which the passenger/payer* received a confirmation of the order, or apply to the UIA Contact Center.
- If the passenger/payer* applies for a refund of the purchased service less than 24 hours prior to the flight departure time indicated on the ticket for which the service was purchased, he/she will not get a refund of the purchased service or rearrange it for another flight, except as otherwise set forth below in the exception clause.
Exception: The passenger/payer* may get a refund the purchased service upon submitting his/her refund application to the UIA Customer Relations Department after the flight/alternative flight departure in the following cases:
- The passenger was not provided with the purchased service through the fault of UIA, including in cases when in the course of an alternative flight the passenger was not provided with the same service which he/she selected and purchased for the flight that was cancelled, changed, or delayed;
- If the passenger was denied carriage through the fault of UIA.
In order to submit your refund application to the UIA Customer Relations Department, please fill out the feedback form on the UIA website.
* PLEASE NOTE: We issue a refund to the person stated on the receipt confirming the payment for the corresponding service, or to the bank account from which the payment for the service was effected. If there is no information about the payer, the passenger receives a refund upon his/her application.
UIA will make a refund based on the service payment receipt and ID documents.
UIA reserves the right to refuse a refund if the passenger submits a refund application upon expiry of 12 months after the service payment receipt was issued.