If you are planning to transport a pet, please send a request to UIA well in advance.
UIA transports only dogs and cats. Other animals must travel as argo: [email protected], +380 44 593 7676.
If your cat or dog weighs less than 8 kg (pet + container), they can travel with you in the cabin. The maximum weight (pet + container) in the cargo hold cannot not exceed 75 kg / 165 lb*.
Pay for the carriage of your cat or dog in the cabin at least 24 hours prior to departure and save 50% . The discount does not apply to pets transported in the cargo hold. You can request this service via our Contact Center.
- export, import or transit permits;
- health and vaccination certificates etc.
- the carriage of pets weighing over 32 kg / 70 lb (incuding the container) has not been approved by the carrier;
- your cats / dogs + container weigh more than 75 kg / 165 lb*.
- Sedation of animals, except under certain conditions and carried out under veterinary supervision, is not recommended. Commonly used tranquilizers lower blood pressure, which also occurs at high altitudes.
- The combination of high altitude and medicines could be dangerous for old, chronically sick or stressed animals. Keeping a container in a dark, cool, quiet place prior to flying will calm down most animals.
- If you have to sedate your pet per veterinarian’s instruction, the name of the drug and time of intake must be clearly marked on the container.
- Pets must be clean and healthy, travelling in a soft-sided hygienic watertight and smell-proof container. Soft bags and baskets designed for transportation of small dogs and cats in cabin can be accepted.
- The weight of a container with an animal should not exceed 8 kg. Maximum size: 115 cm (55 x 40 x 20 cm).
- The container must be ventilated and large enough for your pet to be able to lay down, get up and turn around.
- We allow carrying maximum two pets in the same container if they are familiar with each other, provided that the weight of the container and the animals does not exceed maximum total weight and size. We will not accept cats and dogs carried in the same container.
- You can only take one pet container with you in the cabin. You must hold the container or fit it under the front seat and may not place on the seat.
- Your pet is not allowed to leave the transport kennel during the entire flight with UIA, including take off and landing.
- UIA may refuse to carry an animal if one or more of the above requirements are not met.
- Request pet transportation in the cabin via UIA Contact Center at least 24 hours prior to your flight departure.
A service animal is:
- seeing-eye, hearing or assistance dog (regardless of the weight and size) accompanying a blind, deaf or paraplegic passenger;
- assistance dog (regardless of the weight and size) of state authority officers and rescue team;
- pets (dog or cat weighing up to 8 kg) for emotional support of passenger with reduced mobility.
A service animal can be carried in the aircraft cabin free of charge under the following conditions:
- Provided its carriage is agreed with UIA in advance, at least 24 hours prior to departure. You can request this service using the following online form.
- Animals must be clean and healthy. Dogs must have collars, leashes and muzzles, cats, collars and leashes.
- All documents confirming that a service dog is trained for accompanying a passenger with disability who is dependent upon it, must be presented upon request to UIA representative.
- If you wish to carry a pet for emotional support, you must provide a medical certificate from your physician confirming that you require such support. Please request the carriage of a pet for emotional support in advance.
Maximum number of service animals per passenger in the cabin: 1 service animal (SVAN); 1 animal for emotional support (ESAN).
- Pets must be clean and healthy. Pet's containers shall be:
- large enough that the animal can stand upright, turn and lie down in a natural manner; clean, leak- escape- and claw-proof;
- fit for transportation and handling (feeding, watering, cleaning);
- well ventilated on at least three sides.
- Hand-made containers cannot be accepted for pet transportation in the hold.
- It is allowed to carry maximum 4 animals in the same container provided that: the total weight of container + animals does not exceed 75 kg (165 lb) and the container is spacious enough for pets to stand upright, turn and lie down naturally.
- If you wish to transport your cat or dog on UIA charter flights, please inform your travel agent in advance.
- Once the pet transportation has been approved, please proceed to paying the service via your travel agent / travel operator, via UIA website, at any UIA ticket office or at a check-in desk if the payment is made outside of Ukraine.
- If you prefer to pay for this service at a UIA ticket office, please let your travel agent / travel operator know at which office you intend to make the payment.
- If you paid for the transportation of your pet at a ticket office or via UIA website, please make sure you present the proof of payment at the airport check-in desk.
- You will save 50% if you prepay for carriage of your cat or dog in the cabin at least 24 hours prior to the departure.
- The discount does not apply to pets transported in the hold.
- If you are travelling with pets to Sharm El Sheikh or Hurghada, please note that UIA carries only two pets as checked baggage in the cargo hold.
Hand-made containers are not acceptable for transportation of animals in hold. Containers for carrying pets must meet the following requirements:
- Must be clean and undamaged, rigid enough and stay closed throughout the journey to prevent the animal escaping.
- Ventilated on at least three sides. Ventilation is provided by an open end to the container (which can be the door) and by ventilation openings. The ventilation openings must be small enough or covered with mesh. The total ventilated area must be at least 16% of the total surface of the four sides. Additional holes on the roof or sides of the container are permitted for better ventilation.
- Must be correctly labelled; labels must not block ventilation openings.
- Each animal in the container must have enough space to turn about normally while standing, to stand and sit erect, and to lie down in a natural manner. Maximum container size : length – 110 cm (43in), width – 75 cm (29in), height – 75 cm (29in). Maximum weight (container + animals) in hold – up to 75 kg (165 lb)*.
- Separate food and water troughs must be provided. Food and water containers must be of a suitable type for the animal. Dishes must be accessible from the outside without opening the door. Passenger must provide enough food and water for entire flight.
- Handles must be available along the middle of both long sides of a container. If it has wheels, they must be removed or rendered inoperable.
- Must be made of non-toxic materials: fiberglass, metal, rigid plastics, weld metal mesh, solid wood or plywood. Containers made entirely of welded mesh or wire mesh are not suitable for air transport.
- Some rigid plastic containers may not be suitable for large dogs, or dogs that are aggressive. Special containers of hardwood, metal, plywood or similar material, with two secure door fasteners on each side, are acceptable.
- Must not cause damage to the animal. All inside edges must be smooth or rounded.
- The floor must be solid and leak-proof. The door must form the whole of one end of the container. It can be either sliding or hinged, of plastic, welded or cast metal of sufficient gauge or thickness so as to preclude the animal from bending or distorting the door.
- The mesh must be nose and paw proof to avoid injury to the animal.
Transporting animals (including dogs and cats) to the UK is under strong quarantine regulations of entrance country.
Please note that Ukraine International Airlines does not provide transportation of animals to the United Kingdom – neither in the cabin, nor as checked baggage or cargo.
If you are travelling with pets to the United Arab Emirates, please note that cats, dogs and birds (including falcons) can be imported only as manifested cargo via approved ports and must be accompanied by:
- Import permit issued by the United Arab Emirates Ministry of Environment and Water (UAE MOEW); and
- Veterinarian good health certificate issued by the competent Authorities of the exporting country; and
- Original vaccination card or pet passport which includes microchip ID number, details of the pet and the required vaccinations.
- Original certificate for rabies serum neutralization test (RSNT) conducted within the 90 days prior to travel.
If you are travelling with pets to Turkey, please note that one passenger is entitled to carry the total of two pets provided that they meet the following requirements:
- Availability of one of the systems – digital identification (microchip) or a readable stamped tag.
- Vaccination against rabies.
- Antibody titers analysis of blood serum samples taken by a competent veterinarian 3 months prior to journey and no less than 30 days after the last rabies vaccination, an acceptable report of the results of the analysis on antibody titers of rabies relative to the animal, which should be provided at the customs when entering Turkey.
- Available certified veterinarian certificate for domestic and decorative animals. Please see a certificate sample.
If you are travelling with pets to Sharm El Sheikh or Hurghada, please note that UIA carries only two pets as checked baggage in the cargo hold.
The transportation of pets weighing from 32 kg (70 lb) to 75 kg (165 lb) in the cargo hold is prohibited from the following airports: Baku, Bangkok, Beijing, Brussels, Chernivtsi, Colombo, Dnipro, Dubai, Ivano-Frankivsk, Kutaisi, London, Lviv, New York, Prague, Stockholm, Vinnytsia, Zaporizhzhia.
Certain service limitations might apply on flights with UIA's partner airlines. For more information and for any questions, please, contact the ticket office where you purchased your ticket. You can also get information in UIA Contact Center using an online form.